NZ Day 9 - 29 Oct

6:12 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Believe it or not, I tone my fatty legs quite alot by the trek up and down the mountain to see Fox Glacier. No, it is not a figment of my imagination, I DID tone up my muscle... q=

However, that also indicate that my legs was really sore and day 2 at Fox Glacier was spent whining abit about my painful legs and unfortunately, sunburnt face. It was not a very bad sunburn, but a very mild one, but I still dont like it.

Despite my whining about not going out because of the sore legs and sunburn, our host, Karen encouraged us to go for a walk at one of the route at Franz Josef to see the Franz Josef glacier. We went for that and spent about 20 minutes trekking up the pretty steep forest walk to get to the point to see the glacier (from afar). Spent a good 10 to 15 minutes there going touristy thing like taking photographs and reading about the story of Franz Josef Glacier. There is a very romantic Maori legend for the glacier (this is taken from Wikipedia):

The Maori name for the glacier is Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere ("The tears of Hinehukatere), arising from a local legend: Hinehukatere loved climbing in the mountain and persuaded her lover, Wawe to climb with her. Wawe was a less experienced climber than Hinehukatere but loved to accompany her until an avalanche swept Wawe from the peaks to his death. Hinehukatere was broken hearted and her many, many tears flowed down the mountain and froze to form the glacier.

After sight seeing at Franz Josef Glacier, we went to the West Coast Wildlife Centre to see the Kiwis! We realised that Kiwis are in a quite bad situation now as they are being hunted by Stoat which was originally introduced to hunt and curb the problem of rabbit multiplying in NZ, but stoat decides that kiwis are easier preys since they do not run as fast as rabbit and ended up preying on kiwis instead.

After seeing the kiwis, we took at break at the cafe before roaming around the town and explored the town abit before heading back to our B&B for a rest in the afternoon. Was initially planning on going to a salmon farm to see the salmons and have them for dinner, but we set off at about 4pm and our host told us that we are really late to head to the farm since they will be closed.

We decide to head to Lake Matheson which was recomended by the host to view the very beautiful Reflection Lake during sunset.

That is when I realised that I am either Ariel or I am none of the Walt Disney princess. Simply because, I cannot run thru a dark forest to save my life, instead, I may end up killing myself before any of the evil creatures that are trying to harm me get to me. And for the part about Ariel, it is a belief now and will only be validated once I go into the sea, but since I dont think I will ever go into the sea, we will just stick with the possibility that I maybe Ariel. Hahahahah!

The hike in the forest took about 45 minutes to reach the lake where the husband was fortunate enough to capture a really still shot of the lake when the wind stop for a split second. The hike out was about another 45 minutes and the whole place was REALLY beautiful. Okay, it look like Macritchie Reservoir for a moment, but Macritchie Reservoir dont have natural mini waterfall and is definitely not cold and pleasant to walk in. This mini exercise further tone my already painful legs further more... =D

After the hike, we had dinner at a really nice cafe, which I have forgotten the name (haha!) before heading back.

The sun set at about 8ish daily and we wanted to go and see the glow worm there. Therefore, we headed out at about 9pm and unfortunately, we went to the wrong place to see the glow worm, we sort of chicken out because the forest was really dark by then as the night sets in and we got out quickly and headed back to our B&B.

Rested quite early as we prepare ourselves for a 7 hours drive the Hanmer Spring the next day for a good massage and soak in the thermal pool!

0 comments: